Furniture Makeovers

furniture makeovers

Hard to believe that we are closing in on the end of August. It’s been a hot dry summer for us in the valley. This means it’s been great for painting furniture.

This summer I’ve completed several furniture makeovers. Some of them were for clients while others were for our home. Also, I worked on another Kitchen makeover and I hope to have photos of the completed space soon.

First up is this cute wooden desk for my daughter. I stripped the top and stained it Minxwax Early American. I liked the wood handles and decided to give them the same treatment. On the rest of the desk, I  gave it a quick scuff, a coat of my favourite primer, Sherwin Williams Extreme Bond and then finished it off with Sherwin Williams Pro Classic  Waterfall. The top received three coats of Minwax Polycrylic and it is holding up great.

 

Next up was this great solid wood desk for my son’s bedroom. He loves green and well I couldn’t see myself painting his walls this vibrant green colour that he chose, I could see it used in small doses around his room. Again, I treated the top the same way as with my daughter’s desk but this time I used Minxwax Dark Walnut. The body was painted in Sherwin Williams All Surface Enamel in Kilkenny. This is a lovely green. I swapped out the hardware to this oil rubbed bronze. My son loves his desk and I love the storage it gives us.

 

This client dining table and server are classic 1990 icons with it’s honey oak finish. The table and server are well built and solid wood but the finish was definitely dated. We opted for a classic finish on the table but opted for something fun and colourful on the server. The table base and skirt is painted using Sherwin Williams Pro Classic in Behr’s Swiss Coffee. This is a great warm white without looking yellow. The server was painted in Benjamin Moore’s colour Spring Meadow Green. This is a fun green. I updated the hardware to a more modern profile. The tops of both pieces were stripped and stained in Minwax Dark Walnut and received several topcoats of polycrylic. The chairs are my own but we did end up pairing these chairs by Structube for the client.

This next piece has to be my biggest transformation to date. This credenza ended up looking nothing like it’s original state. It took me several weeks working on and off to get it completed. As you can see in the before photo, it’s your typical 1970’s styled credenza. It was built in Victoriaville, Quebec. It’s not evident in the photo but, there was a bow in the piece that we need to address. The top was badly damaged and I knew I wanted a stained top. ( I just feel a stained top will hold up better than a painted top). First up was to remove the current top and replace it with a solid wood top. We lucked out when we went to Home Depot that they sold laminated solid pine tops in the exact dimensions that we needed. This proved to be more cost effective than if we were to build one ourselves. The top was stained in a custom colour to complement the base and drawer handles.  I loved the wood base and detailing on the drawers and wanted to keep them. They got cleaned up with some furniture wax. The body got a coat of Sherwin Williams Alabaster. This is a great white and is the colour of the year 2016 for Sherwin Williams. Since the client was going to use this piece for his TV, I wanted him to be able to store his media components in the cupboards. They got a coat of Chelsea Grey by Benjamin Moore. We cut out the doors and installed trim and screening so the media components could breathe and be accessible via remote. Some new hardware on the cupboard doors and this piece was done. To be honest, I fell in love with this piece and was hard to let it go. (The green chair in the photo is next on my list for a makeover. I’m keeping this one as the style of chair will look fabulous in our living room.)

IMG_7569

IMG_7564

Last but not least, is this cute little dresser. I painted the drawers Sherwin Williams Alabaster and the body Benjamin Moore Chelsea Grey. I replaced the knobs with a pair of oil rubbed bronze and used Jute rope for the handles as I was going for a nautical look. It would look super cute in a nursery or kid’s bedroom. For now, it sits nicely in my husband’s clinic.

 

IMG_0096

Besides refinishing furniture this summer, we also planted a garden, been finishing up details on our little red barn as well as our  work shed, sprucing up the sunroom and I’ve completed a few little projects in my son’s room that I can’t wait to show you. Just some little things to complete before fall arrives and I begin turning inward and start nesting for the winter ahead.

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s